Thursday, March 12, 2009

What a difference a year makes!

This post is personal, although it does relate to quilling on some level. Many of you know that my mom suffered a major heart attack a year ago November, I posted about it here in Quilling, Children, and Christmas Reflections.

Since I have received inquires about her health I thought I'd update everyone.
This past weekend we celebrated her 83rd birthday! Here she is with my oldest son, I hope I look this good at her age!

Although Doug spent hours sitting by her side during her hospital stay, she has no memory of him or our youngest Drew being there. To her the last time she saw Doug was on her 80th birthday, so her present this year was a visit from both her grandsons... she was thrilled!

Mom has come a long way, she is back living in her home, we are fortunate to live only a few house away. Although is she is walking a little slower and no longer driving, her quality of life is so much more than we ever expected, almost as it was.

And how does this relate to quilling you ask?
When I was planning my wedding I was living in Florida but the ceremony was to be held in my home state of New Jersey. Arriving home for a planning session my mom hands me a cupcake tray filled with little bits of paper.

"OK, mom I know you love to bake but what the heck is this?"

Mom: "I saw this kit to make paper flowers around your invitation and frame it for a keepsake. I thought I'd make it for you, but I HATE doing this!"

Well, I took one look at those paper strips, fell in love, and as the say the rest is history!

This all happened back in 1975.... as much as I love to quill my mom has never touched another quilling strip again!

Pin It!

2 comments:

Ann Martin said...

So glad your mom is doing well now. Very nice pic! Enjoyed hearing about how you got started quilling too. So did you quill around your invitation - still have it? I did mine for our 30th anniversary - better late than never I guess!

Regina said...

Hi again Denise!!
I loved to know your quilling story!!!
Hugs
Regina